Monday, April 18, 2011

International Record Store Day

Last Saturday was International Record Store Day (RSD). It has been happening for a couple of years now and it is a chance for bands across the world to release new or old material as a special limited release for the occasion to promote independently owned music stores.
I have learnt 2 things from such a day:

1) People go absolutely wild for this shit in the U.S
2) I am becoming one of these types of people.

About a month back, I noticed City and Colour would be participating in this years RSD in which his first album would be released on limited edition 2xLP 180 gram vinyl for the first time, but with one little side note - US/Canada stores only. At this point i thought FML, I will have to resort to some jerk on Ebay who will up the price dramatically. Time passed, and I noticed Beatdisc in Parramatta posted what releases that would be carrying for RSD and what was first on the list and the only thing I cared about? City and Colour - Sometimes, how good is this....

So I let Matt know and we set up our game plan. Wake up mega early and get down there first and get possibly the first and only 2 copies. We ran through Westfield at 7am, seen some strange shit, lined up down at the store after some loitering around and were given stickers for #1 and #2 in line for RSD, we were loving it until we realised that we're like Star Wars nerds when a new movie comes out camping out over night to see it. 930AM rolled around and we were in, picked up our copies of this beautiful record, and we were outta there. Turned out the store had 20 copies and we could of slept in but ah well. There was /500 of these worldwide, but after some lurking, at least 30 or more were over-pressed which is pretty weird but I'm not complaining. Explains why I got the number I did.
Great record.

No comments:

Post a Comment